Hi! I'm Amber Asakura.
The Throbbing Eggplant is my little corner of the internet where I share the best mostly-healthy sweet and savory vegan recipes I've created over the last 13+ years.
Things you'll find here:
- Lots of colorful veggie-filled, nutrient-dense vegan recipes.
- My favorite desserts, healthified.
- The occasional not-so-wholesome, but super fucking delicious recipe.
- Swear words. (See above.)
- Recipes for lots of dietary preferences; Whole food plant-based (wfpb), gluten-free, oil-free, whole grain, low calorie, cane sugar-free, nut-free, allium-free, low-FODMAP, etc.
- Probably some stories about cats and/or bodily functions.
Things you probably won't find here:
- Raw onions. Never ever. I inherited my dad's allergy/intolerance and raw onions make me SO SICK. They're the devil.
- Secret bananas. I love bananas, but don't call something a blueberry muffin when it's a blueberry banana muffin! I do use bananas often, but you will always know when a recipe is banana-based so there are no surprises.
- Animal products. Duh.
- Lots of expensive specialty ingredients. I want these recipes to be as accessible as possible, and no one wants to bake a goddamn $40 pan of brownies.
A little bit about me.
I grew up eating mostly desserts and mashed potatoes (some things never change) and didn't learn to cook until my mid-twenties when I went vegan and wanted to impress my now-husband, Shaun, with amazing plant-based food.
(Shaun grew up in a multicultural house with his Japanese dad and Mexican + Native American + Irish mom and has always loved food and cooking. He's an omnivore with a wheat intolerance, but he also loves vegan food and makes some damn good savory vegan meals himself.)
If you want to read more about how I discovered veganism, see this post.
After a lot of trial and error with different variations of a vegan diet (paleo vegan, low carb high fat (WORST IDEA EVER), low-fodmap, raw vegan, etc., etc., etc.), I've discovered that I'm my happiest when I'm eating a nutrient-dense, high-carb low-fat, whole food plant-based diet with a little bit of wiggle room for indulgent stuff in there (mimosas and vegan brunch, please!).
I avoid using cane sugar and added oil at home and focus on beans, whole grains, tofu and tempeh, and adding a ton of colorful veggies to my meals.
Eating this way has helped me lose 30 pounds (and counting!) almost effortlessly, cleared up my cystic acne, healed my digestive issues, stopped the recurring binge eating & restrictive dieting cycle that I was stuck in for 15 years, and it gives me so much energy I'm a better runner now at almost-40 than I was in my 20s!
I almost always eat a big ass salad for lunch, so I love to come up with flavorful, healthy salad dressing recipes. This creamy vegan caesar dressing is my absolute favorite.
My hope is that you'll find a recipe to make while you're here, whether you're strictly whole food plant-based and want highly nutritious low calorie vegan recipes, or you're just looking for something delicious.
If there's anything you'd like to see me healthify, or if you have any questions about losing weight on a vegan diet (and feeling amazing in the process), I would love to chat! You can contact me through the form on this contact page or DM me on instagram.
Thanks for being here!